[vdr] Re: vdr streaming to standalone media player

Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@ghs.fr> wrote:
> tony a écrit :
> > I would like to use the hardware decoding of my Epia to decode then
> > stream the whole lot over the LAN (100baseT). On the other end I have a
> > Vaio with a 400 mHz Mobile PII (Celeron) which drops too many frames
> > when I stream the PS and decode with xine on the client.

> If I count correctly, the whole decoded stuff makes something like at
> least 150-200Mbps (720 x 576 x 16bpp x 25fps = 165Mbps).
> The Vaio could have as much problems tansfering 165Mbps from network to
> video memory than to decode the stream. Just fine-tune Xine and XV to

Using a 100mbit/s network you'll have a hard time getting more than
75-80mbit/s over under real world conditions. No way getting 165mbit/s
over. You'll be losing frames like hell.

> > In an ideal world I would like to use WiFi at 54 Mbps. You are saying
> > that this is feasible?

Not for the decoded stuff, but for the MPEG files, yes, that's what I'm
doing at home.

So - the machine is too slow to decode MPEG2 in realtime, and the network
is too slow to get decoded video over. Maybe at a lower resolution like
320x288. If you need more you either need a faster machine or a hardware
MPEG2 decoder PCMCIA card. Don't ask me which of these has decent Linux
support... -> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

Please remember an MPEG2 PCMCIA card needs a ZV port - check your Vaio first.

USB could be a way to go if your Vaio supports USB2.0. But I pretty much
doubt if a Celeron400 machine has USB2.0 to begin with.

--
Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index