[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.6.2 plugin

Hi,

mike lewis wrote:

I'm wodering if you could clear something up for me.  I've using
vdr-xine to dvb-tv in australia.  However, many programs are sent in
an mpweg2 stream boxed with a black border the whole way around.  The
programs are generally older programs but it means on a 29inch 4:3 tv,
you get about a 20" picture with black around the picture of about
2-3" the whole way around.
Eww, not nice. Here in Europe even the older programs are sent normal.
What I noticed is that many stations send a black border on the left
side, but that one is not larger than 10 pixels or so.
Mike may be watching broadcasts using 'AFD' which means that 4:3 broadcasts
occur in a 16:9 frame - I had this thick-border problem when I briefly used a
Dxr3 with VDR over a year ago.

OK, this seems to be my issue.  Is there any easy way to analyse the a
vdr recording to see if it contains afd's?
I'm sorry for the late reply :-(

I just took a look into AFD, ETSI TR 101 154 and ISO/IEC 13818-2 and it seems to be not too complicated to extract the necessary information which should be part of any of your VDR recordings taken.

Could you provide me some sample recordings with different formats, e. g. 5 to 10 seconds of each format should be sufficient. You might want to send me the download URLs to my private email address.

I'm was hoping there would be some way of having vdr adjust its own
display mode based on the afd.  In any case this is of super low
priority, just getting the image display correct is the biggest issue
for me.
VDR doesn't process the video stream: VDR just records it ;-)

It's xine which has to do processing and scaling.

I've asked about scaling on the xine list a few times, and have not
recieved even one reply.  I don't think they are intrested in my
problem, I think most users in australia are using mythtv, which I
think has xoom/afd support already.
Well, I experience the same problem too: most xine developers are busy with other things and it takes quite some time until my patches for vdr-xine get integrated into CVS. But I don't mind: it's a hobby and not business ;-)

Anyway, I'd like to give it a try to implement AFD into xine but I need your support as mentioned above. And I also think that it should be possible to do the scaling even with vidix. I own a Matrox G550 and use it with the vidix driver too, so I can test it that way.

The basic idea is to do the opposite of xine's expand post process plugin which puts 16:9 material into a 4:3 frame at almost no CPU cost. Works even with vidix (but not with xxmc which I use for a VIA EPIA board)!

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de