[vdr] VDR-binarys (was Re: cDevice plugin API)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Reinauer" <stepan@suse.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 3:06 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: cDevice plugin API

> * Stephan Bieker <stephan@bieker-online.de> [030114 18:14]:
> > A big advantage of putting it together would be a typical environment
for
> > every user. Look at this mailinglist. Nobody ever asks of where to store
> > channels.conf and how it should look like, but if it comes to mount.sh
or
> > mplayer.sh, there are so many circumstances that "light" users often are
> > very confused by all possibilities.
>
> If you are using SuSE Linux 8.1, feel free to test the vdr-1.1.20 RPMs
> found at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/vdr/
>
> There you find an RPM for vdr-1.1.20 plus vdr-plugins-0.3, which
> contains the following plugins:
> * console (0.5.1)
> * dvd (0.2.0)
> * dxr3 (0.1.4)
> * lcdproc (0.0.8)
> * mlcd (0.0.2)
> * mp3/mplayer (0.7.9)
> * prefermenu (0.4.0)
> * remote (0.0.1)
> * stream (0.1.0)
> * streamc (0.0.1a) - streaming client
> * teletext (0.7.6)
> * tetris (0.2.2)
> * tvtv (0.1.5)
> * vcd (0.0.4)
> * vdrc (0.0.8) - vdr commander (mc like tool)
> * vdrcd (0.0.4)
> * vdrmail (0.0.5)
>
> Some of the plugins need some extra libraries that have not been part
> of SuSE Linux 8.1. These libraries are provided at the same place as the
> vdr packages.
>
> If you miss a plugin in the list or something does not work appropriate
> in your configuration, please drop me a note. Please understand, that
> I can only provide RPMs for SuSE Linux 8.1 right now.
>
> > It is very clear to me, that in the moment, where things are changing
every
> > second day (dvb, vdr, mplayer) no one has a real chance to do this, but
> > think, it would be a good conclusion in the near future, to build a
"stable"
> > release with enhanced _basic_ features.
>
> Having a binary pack on top of different distributions is a bit ugly at
> the moment, as there is a lot of work being done in regard to gcc and
> g++, which means that a C++ program compiled with gcc 3.2 and above will
> not work on a system with the gcc 2.95 versions of libstdc++ installed
> etc.
> Thus, compiling via a script might be a nice idea, but you need a
> compiler and such installed on the system you want to use vdr on.
> I vote strongly for keeping the stuff available as plugins out of vdr,
> to not make it a whole big bunch of unreadable code. Rather check and
> see how the plugin interface can be improved so that more stuff can
> be realized externally.
>
> > Or is it a natural law, that linux users must have things complicated to
be
> > happy?..;-) This week i installed my server new with gentoo now and it
> [...]

What about providing SRPMs? You set up a list which libraries have to be
available on a system (you could also add which widespread distros have a
green for your SRPMs) You could also include libs like ffmpeg to that SRPMs.

The user would simply do a rpm --rebuild VDR-1.x.x.srpm and get all the RPMs
for his specific machine/distro. Then he'd just install the RPMs not given
on his system.

I haven't digged into SRPM, yet, but I've read that you even can give
make-options when starting you RPM-build.

Rene