[vdr] Re: dxr3 decoder vs software decoder..

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 03:45, Jon Burgess wrote:
> Gavin Hamill wrote:
>
> > Hardly surprising since the Dxr3 was designed many years ago and intended only
> > ever to play MPEG2 files from a DVD....
>
> Looking at the em8300 driver shows what appear to be a couple of
> configurable size vs visible_size registers. Perhaps the card can
> support clipping and scaling the output to cut off the black edges.
> After all, it can do the reverse and scale down its output to a small
> part of the VGA screen when running in overlay mode.
>
> Unfortunately due to the non availability of detailed specs on the chip
> from Sigma, it makes it difficult to see if it really is possible.
>
> 	Jon

I've changed the first line of this definition in em8300_dicom.c to be a
mode which will scale 14:9 up to 4:3, it could probably do with a little
more tweaking:

tvmodematrix[EM8300_VIDEOMODE_LAST + 1] = {
        {576, 864, 46,60},

 I use this mode with DVB video size set to 16:9  as I've noticed the
dxr3's scaling algorithm to move from 16:9 to 4:3 leaves a number of
noticeable artefacts around.  This mode also requires tweaking the
scaling and offset of the OSD inside the dxr3 plugin.

tvmodematrix[EM8300_VIDEOMODE_LAST + 1] = {
-        {576, 720, 46, 130},     // PAL 4:3
+        {576, 864, 46,60},       // 14:9 stretched to 4:3

I'm waiting to see the WSS patches applied to dxr3 modules and the dxr3
plugin so I can see where I can fit this type of change in a less
hackish manner [ having to recompile each time I want letterboxed 16:9
back isn't really ideal :-)  ]

--
Richard Jones <richard@earthmen.com>