[vdr] Re: Howto route audio through soundcard

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:19:57PM +0100, Andreas Breitenbach wrote:
> Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>
> >> What I actually need is a way out of the analog output of my onboard sound
> >> (can output analog 5.1) of my board with SIS651 chipset.
> >
> > I can not add a decoder even if a52dec lib is GPL ... the Dolby Labs Inc.
> > do have patents and rights on that stuff.
>
> I understand. Maybe I have to be more precise: I simply like to have the sound
> output over DVB-Card _and_ sound card as well. Donīt care for DTS, I have no
> DTS equipment anyway. Simply stereo or 5.1 is OK for me.

If SIS651 chip set is supported by ALSA(/OSS) this should be possible
with a52dec and the `-a' Option.  But note, you're need transfer mode
for getting AC3 during watching TV.

> >> There is a tool called dtsdec to decode the DTS signal and put it to the normal
> >> soundcard output. Is it possible to pipe the stream into that tool or is there
> >> another solution?
> >
> > A DTS decoder software is new for me.  And AFAIK the DTS Inc. had
> > never opened their standards to ATCS nor to us, the OpenSource community.
> > If there is a DTS decoder software then this have changed :^)
>
> See: http://www.videolan.org/dtsdec.html

I've alread found it ;)

> > AFAIK the current a52dec lib should be able to use ALSA and if your
> > sound card is supported with multi channel output  it should works
> > simply with `-a' option.   AFAIK there is also a plugin around doing
> > the same stuff from Marcel Wiesweg.
>
> Must be the wrong Person. Do you have a command line example?

Hmm ... Marcel _is_ the right person.  For the a52dec lib abd its
a52dec tool you have to start vdr with the `-a a52dec <...>' option
and for the <...> you may read the docs	in a52dec lib source ;^)

       Werner