[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Problems switching to dvb-kernel

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Luca Olivetti wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

So, the "fact" is: Distros ship kernel 2.6 -> no DVB driver!
Since the dvb driver itself is in the 2.6 kernel tree if the distro
supplies a 2.6 kernel it also supplies a dvb driver so I see no problem
here unless you want to use the latest cvs (i.e bleeding edge) drivers.
In fact in some cases (dxr3 comes to mind) I had better results with the
distro supplied drivers than with the cvs ones.

Ok, so I guess I should have written

  Distros ship kernel 2.6 -> no _latest_ DVB driver!

because if I start using the linux-dvb driver under kernel 2.6 for
VDR development, I sure want to use the latest driver from CVS.
Yes, I knew this, but the fact that distributions that ship 2.6 also ship dvb drivers is a good reason why vdr won't definitely be buried, in fact I'd say it'll make deployment easier (unless you're vdr main developer, that is ;-).

Bye
--
- Yo también quiero una Europa libre de Patentes de Software -
- I want a Software Patents Free Europe too! And you? -