[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Problems switching to dvb-kernel

Luca Olivetti wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>

> > So, the "fact" is: Distros ship kernel 2.6 -> no DVB driver!
>
> Since the dvb driver itself is in the 2.6 kernel tree if the distro
> supplies a 2.6 kernel it also supplies a dvb driver so I see no problem
> here unless you want to use the latest cvs (i.e bleeding edge) drivers.
> In fact in some cases (dxr3 comes to mind) I had better results with the
> distro supplied drivers than with the cvs ones.

Ok, so I guess I should have written

  Distros ship kernel 2.6 -> no _latest_ DVB driver!

because if I start using the linux-dvb driver under kernel 2.6 for
VDR development, I sure want to use the latest driver from CVS.

I guess it all comes down to this: the kernel 2.6 based linux-dvb
driver version in CVS should be made so that it still compiles with
the latest "official" kernel versions used by the major distributions.
Typically Linux distributions don't use the latest greatest kernel
versions. If the DVB driver wants to make use of some kernel features
that are not available yet in the kernel versions used by the major
distributions, it should provide backwards compatibilty mechanisms.
Simply locking out "older" kernel versions is not very wise...

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index