[linux-dvb] Re: Nova CI (or the new Nova CI Terr) and CAM?

Holger Waechtler writes:
 > Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > > Ragnar Sundblad writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > You are referring to drivers for the KNC1 cards I guess?
 > >
 > > Yes, but just the CI stuff. The KNC1 DVB-S cards already were supported
 > > by the AV7110/SAA7146 driver (though not in the newer Convergence drivers).
 >
 > can you please explain a bit more in detail why the KNC1 should not work
 > with the new driver? I don't have this card here, so I can't test it on
 > my own, but AFAIK we include the KNC1 vendor/device id pair and the
 > saa7146/av7110 code should support it as well.
 >
 > What exactly is the problem?

There is no support for it in the current saa714/av7110 code besides having
the card recognized. All support for it was in the old driver branch
and not ported to the new one before it the old one was scrapped.

One reason why the porting was not done earlier is that the tuner
has to be handled differently but there is no way to e.g.
configure a general stv0299 tuner module to be used for BSRU6,
SU1278, or other tuners.

We went back to using the normal I2C drivers, added calls for
configuring the tuner, etc.
This also allows us to directly use the tuner module with existing
I2C drivers for cards like e.g. the SAA7130 based Flyvideo
DVB-S card, which, while having the same tuner as the KNC1 card,
has some ports wired differently to the components on the card.

Ralph