[linux-dvb] Hauppauge Nova-T problems - Progress at last!

Thankyou so much Robert. The clue to at least some of my problems is this PCI burst length setting.

However, having tried values down to 16, it was still causing little errors, so I went down to using 0x00, and this seems to work properly at last! Wahoo! I actually then tried 0x00030000 which should be a fifo of 32, with pci burst of 1. I'm assuming that this will be better than a straight 0x00? (Any opinions?)

Now, some other notes on this. The error rates are much worse using the gentoo gs kernel sources, than say, the ac kernel sources. I haven't done any great tests, but since I used the same .config file the main difference is probably the "low latency" patch in -gs. Does this make sense to anyone that the low-latency patch would cause problems with pci bursts? To be clear though I am still having problems even with the -ac kernel, so the low-latency (if indeed that is the problem) is just exagerating the issue.

Anyway, with a pci-burst of 1 and a fifo of 32 I have one remaining issue which is that the sound is hideously out of sync with the picture when viewing in mplayer. I have uploaded a few seconds of sample at:
http://www.wildgooses.com/test.ts

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to check this on their system and tell me if it plays OK. For me there is about a 1 sec delay, with the sound behind the audio. However, it plays fine in mythtv (which uses libavcodec) so I think this is a fixable player issue, but the point is that the stream from the full featured DVB card plays fine on this system.

Now bearing in mind the pretty low levels of data is there any reason NOT to lower the pci-burst setting. Are we really gaining anything by leaving it this high? Seems that it just leads to potential problems? For what it's worth I see the same problems under 2.6 test 3, so advancements in the kernel there aren't helping (for example).

Thoughts?

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped. I really appreciate the friendliness and helpfullness of the people here.

Ed W

From: "Edward Wildgoose" <ed@wildgooses.com>

However, the picture is now jerky, it plays smoothly for a few frames,
then hiccups, then plays smooth for a bit longer. Appears to be 1-2
hiccups a sec giving a kind of jerky progress to moving objects.
Sound is out of sync as well.

I guess after that I need to start disabling the onboard hardware and
see if I can't get this card working. But assuming that it is some
kind of corruption on the PCI bus, then are there any tips on debugging
this or preferably making things cooperate. I tried bumping up the
PCI latency on the dvb card to 128, however, this didn't appear to
make any real difference... Guess it's back to fiddling

FWIW, these are exactly the symptoms I had on a SIS chipset with a budget
card. These cards appear to be very timing sensitive. The parameters to
play with are the SAA7146A "FIFO threshold" and "PCI burst length"
settings. Settings I found to work well:

1. PCI burst = 32 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 32 DWORDs - This one handles
even a 40Mbps DVB-Cable stream on both i440BX as well as i850E chipsets
(don't have others to try).

2. PCI burst = 16 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 16 DWORDs - seems to work
equally well.

3. PCI burst = 16 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 32 DWORDs - The only setting
which allowed me to make a DVB-T budget card work on a SIS 651 chipset.

Just for reference this is an Asus P4P800 board. I don't suppose that
anyone else has one of these and could say that it works for them with a
budget card?

I don't have any experience with the i875 chipset yet, so please try the
above settings and let us know if you find any combination that works on
this chipset!

The full featured card works fine... (well apart from crashing
frequently...)

The full featured card cannot pass an unfiltered MPEG-2 stream, and if it
passes MPEG-2 packets, those are not only lower data rates, but also
buffered by the AV7110, thus making the transfers much less timing
sensitive... So it's not surprising you are seeing PCI timing issues now
you did not have with the full featured card.