[linux-dvb] Re: daemon for dedicated dvb-card.

Timo Eckert wrote:

> and nothing happens.. i think.. damn.. i forgot something. read the INSTALL
> again and again.. so i saw that vdr is logging into syslog. okay. tailed
> syslog.. seems to be good.. but the last line:
> Aug 20 20:45:29 fileserver vdr[22974]: remote control KBD - learning keys
>
> WTF?!?! keys? what for keys. my fileserver is a little box with 6hdds, one
> dvd-writer, one cdwriter, one nic and one dvb-s card. there is no keyboard
> nor irda-device on it... so, well, i thougt i hack randomly on my keyboard..
> i got nice 'new KDB code'-msgs in the syslog.. and now? hrm? restart? okay.
> restart.. hrm.. learning keys again? damnmit.. searched the Website of vdr
> for a documentation.. nothing.. read the MANUAL.. nothing.. so i removed this
> thing and try my luck with mythtv now (hope thats work better)...
>
> this are my personal experience with vdr.

Oh well, I wonder how you got Linux running, if you don't read the
documentation and the online-resources (sorry, couldn't resist).

VDR is originally designed to work with a remote control - but you don't
need one. After the first start it insists on learning at least one way
to control it - the keyboard. If you don't have a full-featured card,
you should compile it with 'OSD_DEBUG=1' to see the on-screen-display
messages on the console. Then start it, teach it the basic commands
(even though you'll never need them; it's just a matter of a minute or
so) and after that you can control it via telnet to port 2001.

Cheers,
Juri