[linux-dvb] Re: OT: vdr-install/plugins (Was: daemon for dedicateddvb-card.)

Timo Eckert wrote:

>> VDR is originally designed to work with a remote control - but you don't
>> need one. After the first start it insists on learning at least one way
>> to control it - the keyboard. If you don't have a full-featured card,
>> you should compile it with 'OSD_DEBUG=1' to see the on-screen-display
>> messages on the console. Then start it, teach it the basic commands
>> (even though you'll never need them; it's just a matter of a minute or
>> so) and after that you can control it via telnet to port 2001.
>
> Ok.. Ehm.. Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of 'DEBUG'.
> For me it is, to get more information about, what a Program is doing, to find
> (logical) errors in my Program. This is for me Debug. And not to set up an
> ncurses-interface where some output is done.. Sorry..

This is intended as a debugging aid, but serves another useful purpose,
as you can see ;)
As you're using VDR in a nonstandard manner you have to go nonstandard
ways...
I'm not sure, but maybe this whole thing could have been prevented if
you had compiled VDR with 'NO_KBD=1'. Didn't thought of that, sorry.

> Okokokok.. Now vdr works, and i got the streamdev plugin. But this seems have
> an error, so i must set up a channel number, an can not say, i want to see
> the actual channel.

Hmm, I don't know much about the streamdev plugin. You should ask this
on the VDR mailing list vdr@linuxtv.org.

> And another question.. Can vdr (i know the v stands for video) record
> audio-only (with plugins)?

VDR can record so-called radio-channels broadcasted via DVB, but it
cannot record only the audio track of a normal video channel and, AFAIK,
nor can any of the plugins. But with additional tools (ds.jar, [what was
the name of the other?]) you can split off the audio after a video
recording was done.

Cheers,
Juri