[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: bitstreamout 0.46g (AC3 loop through sound card)

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:27:20PM +0200, Joel LArsson wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of information in my previous mail.
> My problem is really that PCM (waching tv) is going on the stereo (analog) out
> on the DVB-C card. Since the provider I use (comhem) doesnt seem to send any
> channels with AC3 audio I havent been able to see if it works. I have only used
> AC3 with the dvd plugin. AC3 with the DVD plugin is working great, I will try
> when I get home to use dvdplugin with bitstreamout plugin and a DVD with PCM
> data. And see if the audio is going out the analog way on the DVB card or
> bitstreamout.

The bitstreamout plugin only forward the payload from PS1 Mpeg frames to
the S/P-DIF of the sound card.   It is not designed to encode Mpeg Audio
frames and forward the resulting PCM to the S/P-DIF.   This will be done
the the DVB card its self.  You've only connect the S/P-DIF out of the
DVB card to the S/P-DIF in of your sound card (but note, that the S/P-DIF
out of the DVB card provides a signal level of +5V, you've to check the
manual of your sound card if it can handle 5V input level ... if not
you need a voltage divider).

If this is done you're able to switch your sound card with the command
line tool amixer into loop through mode (which is S/P-DIF in forward
to S/P-DIF out).  To see how this could be done have a look into the
file mute.sh at the last few lines.   This script I'm using for my
CMI8738 onbaord sound chip together with the option -m of the bitstreamout
plugin.  To see what amixer switches your card provides type in

        amixer controls

... as a side effect, you're able to mute/unmute PCM and AC3 if the
bitstreamout plugin is used.

    Werner