[vdr] Re: two or more harddrives and performance (filesystemstreaming performance benchmark)

Jon Burgess wrote:

As soon as the benchmark tries two streams ext3 performs really badly. Writing at 0.48MB/s is barely enough for a single DVB TV channel.
I did some more tests over the weekend and I think that the test has uncovered a major performance regression for ext2/3 in 2.6. Running the same test on a 2.4.22 kernel gives much better numbers.

Write speed in MB/s using ext2 for 1 and 2 streams:

Streams: 1 2
linux-2.4.22 10.47 6.98
linux-2.6.2 9.71 0.34

I'll pursue this with LKML and see if anyone has any comments. I recommend staying away from using the vdr+ext2/3+linux-2.6 combination for now.

Jon