[vdr] Re: Handling of reccmds.conf and commands.conf

Also sprach Tobias Grimm zu "28.04.2004 23:09" Anno Domini:
Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Why don't you simply make /etc/vdr/commands.conf a symbolic link to
/var/cache/vdr/commands.conf?

That wouldn't be much better. It doesnt't make very much of a difference, if it's just a link or the real file in /etc/vdr. Under /etc should only be files, that can be edited by the user.

Have a look at the mozilla and tetex packages from Debian/sarge. As far as I know they use such <configfile>.d directories also and if I am right, the files are genereated to /var... and THAT is the directory where they load all config files from. Not genereated config files are symlinks from /etc to this dir.

By the way, as vdr "regenerates" channels.conf and setup.conf (did I miss some files), maybe these files should also be stored in /var... Doesn't FHS also imply that /etc could be read-only? The only "daemon" I also know of generation "his" config file is swat from samba. All other daemons I use open their config files read-only. Maybe we can make vdr more convinient in that way too?

CU/all
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "printk("VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. "